Even though it is summertime and I should be having the time of my life because that is what summertime is advertised to be, it gets harder when you grow up and you are expected to spend all your time at some summer job that takes up all your free time or you find yourself bored most of the time. When this happens it is understandable that the idea of summer becomes a bit bleak and lifeless. In any case, whatever rut you find yourself in, it’s important to remind yourself of things that make you happy in life and to take time some time to make yourself feel good. I have decided to compile a list of things that bring me some joy when I am not feeling my best and I hope I can help all of you out there as well.
1. Sleep/ASMR: Obvious, right? It should be, because letting yourself relax after being stressed out for so long is the healthiest thing you can do for yourself when you are upset. So, don’t feel bad about taking that 3-4 hour nap from time to time to really let your body recuperate and get the beauty sleep it deserves. ASMR for anyone who hasn’t heard of it is Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response which is in a less medical term a relaxing feeling one experiences when introduced to relaxing stimuli. More specifically, if you type in ASMR Sleep into YouTube you will find millions of ASMR videos curated to help you relax and ultimately sleep accompanied by listening to whispers and triggers. It is a little odd to some people, but if you have an open mind and are willing to try it, it can work for you. Especially if you have a hard time falling asleep in the middle of the day I would highly recommend checking it out.
2. Listen to your favorite music: Everyone has that one song that just brings them back to a time when everything was okay and the world was a little less chaotic. It is a common one, but just take some time to listen to your favorite tunes and I can pretty much guarantee you will feel better and may even feel inclined to dance which is another great way to make you feel happier. It’s okay to let loose sometimes.
3. Write it out: This one is probably number one for me personally, as it has worked for me for years. If you write out all your problems you instantly gain a new perspective on your situation and you will notice just how stupid or valid your frustration is and that can help you heal from whatever it is that is hurting you.
4. Make a list of things that make you happy: Like in the song “My Favorite Things” sung by the legendary Julie Andrews in The Sound Of Music, by simply having a random list of little or big things that make you happy, you will definitely bring you some joy just knowing that the good things in life that you love outweigh the bad. I tried taking a picture of my list, but one of my favorite things decided he wanted to lay on it.
5. Go on an adventure: I encourage you to get out of the place you are in when you are in a bad mood, get some fresh air and remove yourself from a bad situation by being curious and free and you may find yourself in a new favorite place or discovering something you never knew was there.
6. Hangout with people you love: Sometimes the best thing to do is venting to one of your close friends or family members because letting someone know you aren’t okay is a step to making you feel better. If they are a really good friend then they will be there for you and will make you laugh and smile which is one of the very important steps to take in order to feel more like yourself again.
7. Invest your time into a hobby: Sometimes it’s all about distracting yourself in order to separate yourself from the situation you are in. Any hobby will do as long it is something you enjoy doing and feel passionate about. It is good to set goals for yourself because you will look more towards the future instead of being stuck in your rut.
8. Eat food: This one seems simple but I know it can be hard to eat when you are feeling blue. Just having food in your stomach will give you some energy that will make you feel better. Even if it’s ice cream or whatever food that brings you comfort, food is going to make you feel better, so don’t feel bad about drinking that homemade peanut butter chocolate milkshake or even taking the healthy route and indulging in a delicious caesar salad, it’s for your soul.
9. Spend time around animals: Here’s the thing about animals, they can sense when you are feeling down and most likely they will give you loads of attention and love because animals are literally the purest things on this planet. Animals will not judge you or make you feel worse they will only make you feel better so go cuddle that pet of yours because they freaking love you and don’t want you to be sad.
10. Get back to nature: When you find you feel like you have lost yourself go explore nature and all it has to offer. Remind yourself that whatever you are going through isn’t the worst thing ever because there are so many other things going on in this messed up world of ours that someone else would die to have the life you do and it could always be worse. So count your blessings everyone and just be kind to others and the earth because there is only one earth and one you so take the time to appreciate all of it.